OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
Ned Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ned Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2013 10:55:17 -0500
The Western Hamilton County CBC was held Sunday, December 22. We had mostly
cloudy weather, with temperatures in the 50s, and fortunately missed the
heavy rain that we had Saturday. That rain, however, resulted in heavy
flooding of the Great Miami River, which kept us out of the normally
productive river bottoms.

43 participants found a total of 88 species, which is about average. We had
16 species of waterfowl, which is a little more than average, We had record
high counts for Cackling Goose (5), Canada Goose (4994), Ring-necked Duck
(286), and Hooded Merganser (16).

We also set record highs for Pied-billed Grebe (11, tie) Black Vulture
(26), Bald Eagle (6, tie), Short-eared Owl (2, tie), Eastern Phoebe (2,
tie), Red-winged Blackbird (622), Rusty Blackbird (661, previous high 70),
Common Grackle (16,454, previous high 4203), and Brown-headed Cowbird
(2,750, previous high 443).

We found zero Sandhill Cranes, compared to 3,205 last year - the big push
was a couple of weeks later than usual last year. Winter irruptives were
also missing - no crossbills or Pine Siskins, and only three Red-breasted
Nuthatches.

--
Ned Keller