OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2013 11:06:03 -0800
Yesterday evening, a gorgeous Snowy Owl was perched atop the "yellowest" hangar at Lorain County Regional Airport.  I've never had a more stunning look at one - usually, there are fences, water, or acres of private agriculture in the way.  This bird had the most pronounced, outlined ear tufts I've ever seen, almost as if they were comically drawn on.  I was only able to stay until 4:30, and the local Short-ears had not risen by then.

This morning, there was a Snowy hanging out on the west side of the river at Lorain Harbor.  There's a spit of land north of the bait shop and fenced-off portion where an enormous fallen tree lays, and the bird was occupying this area.  Lorain Harbor & the Black River were hopping this morning, with tens of thousands of gulls, but 95% of them were Ring-billed.  The larger gulls are here, but apparently the freeze hasn't pushed them toward shore yet.  There were several hundred Bonaparte's remaining, and a couple adult Lesser Black-backeds in the mix.  If you still need a California Gull for the year, this would be a good place to check - it has proven good in the past.  Five Snow Buntings also on the pier.

Happy holidays!
Gabe Leidy
Sheffield Lake