OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
"McCormac, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McCormac, Jim
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2013 13:19:16 +0000
Hi all,

I received a report and photo of a Snowy Owl seen late yesterday afternoon near the corner of Davis Kirk Road and State Rte. 4 in the extreme northwest corner of Delaware County. This is about 2 ½ miles southwest of Prospect. Keep in mind the usual cautions of fast traffic on the state route. The flatlands of neighboring Marion and Union counties would also be good places to look for new owls, should you find yourself in the area.

At least 107 Snowy Owls have been found in 36 counties to date. The most reliable locale to find one is the Cleveland lakefront and vicinity, and Lake Erie harbors such as at Conneaut and Lorain. Most of the interior owls do not show a tendency to linger long. That said, new owls are appearing daily and more are almost certain to be found.

Jim

Jim McCormac
Ohio Division of Wildlife
2045 Morse Rd., G-2