OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2013 21:43:22 -0500
No specific birds to report here, but interesting habitat evolving
smack-dab in downtown Columbus as the river level lowers due to the lowboy
dam below Main Street being dismantled. The river lowered visibly during a
five-hour business meeting I attended today on the 36th floor of the
Huntington Center. I could only view from a distance, but I noted the
increasing numbers of gulls, presumably ring-billed, gathered on the
re-claimed bottomland. It will be very interesting to see how this
progresses.

As a commentary on the naivete of the common human: the Columbus Dispatch
ran an article today headlined "Pardon Our Mud" focusing on someones
concept of visual aesthetics, with rather oblique and secondarily
downplayed attention paid to the potential boon to wildlife.

Mud is bad, ya know?

Pity this is mostly after the shorebird migration. It could have been more
interestingly timed.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell