OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2013 14:19:01 -0800
   While on my lunch break today (12/06) I had a flock of 36 Lapland Longspurs in Szalay's cornfield at the corner of Bolanz Rd. & Riverview Rd. in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. They were in the company of 55 Mourning Doves. This is the field that held Szalay's corn maze throughout the fall. Plenty of leftover field corn on the ground & this field has held Horned Larks, American Pipits & Snow Buntings in the past, but this was the first I've had longspurs here. They became my 195th. bird sighted in Summit County for 2013 & my 212th. bird sighted within the C.V.N.P.
   They eventually took flight, did one lap around the field then headed west, across Riverview Rd. & the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad tracks. There are more fields west of here along Everett Rd. but it's a good bet they'll be back here because of the corn stubble.

Douglas W. Vogus - Akron, Ohio.