OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2013 22:27:30 -0500
I spent time scurrying around to several parks around Columbus and Westerville, scouting for 2 different CBCs.  In Westerville, I hiked around Sharon Woods, then later went over to Inniswood.  The clear day made it seem warmer than it was, and there were lots of birds in windless areas, especially around the feeders at both parks.  Notables included:

Waterfowl - Shrock lake in Sharon Woods had many Mallards, plus a few Black Ducks, American Wigeon, and hooded Mergansers
Raptors - Red-tails appear to have been pushed into the urban areas by the snow, as I had them at several areas
Woodpeckers - Downies & Red-bellies were at near-record #s, and Inniswood also had 1 Red-headed Woodpecker and a Sapsucker.
Brown Creepers - not very large #s here, with only 2 at Sharon Woods (both on the Spring Creek Trail)
E.Bluebird - small flocks of 4-5 birds at several spots in Sharon Woods, and also at Inniswood
Yellow-rumped Warblers - lots of them stranded in Sharon Woods, hanging around poison ivy berries
E.Towhee - 4 at Sharon Woods, and another at Inniswood
Tree Sparrows - at least 5 were around different feeders in Sharon Woods
Fox Sparrow - 1 was hanging around the east feeder off the Spring Creek Trail at Sharon Woods
Finches - lots of Goldfinches & House Finches at Sharon Woods, but no siskins around there yet.