OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2013

From:
"Steve J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve J.
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 14:11:37 -0500
Forgive me for not putting my 2 cents in earlier, but I am apparently having email issues...things are not showing up until days later for some reason.

As the one that posted the sighting of the Trumpeter Swans, if the swans are collared, then they are the originals, and I don't count them...but if they are not, then they are fair game...That and they are on eBird, so they are counted...by me...as far as Ohio Birds is concerned, they have their own criteria.  However, I am not going to go through my eBird generated list to take out things like Trumpeters and HOSPs.

As far as the count goes...as there has been some discussion on that as well.  I based it on a couple of things.  From what I could see through my scope, there were no yellow lores, and the bill/lores area of the adults were black all the way to the eyes.  Their calls were more like sandhill cranes which is what I thought they were at first...(I heard them from one end of the pond, and drove like a madman to the other hoping for Sandhills :-D) and not sounding like (if you will forgive the holiday reference) Santa Claus (ho ho ho). They were in clusters of 4 to 5 with usually 2 adults and 2 or 3 gray-ish yearlings. One pond held 110-120, the other right beside it held about 25-30 and we had others around Killdeer that were added to the count. There was a grouping of 14 swans that were not added to the count because they were overhead and I couldn't determine by call or visual...so I left them off the count completely...(but I think they were Tundra...I have never seen a group of
Trumpeters fly in formation that big)

Why were they all together?...Well considering that those were the only ponds with open water at Killdeer at the time...the presence of all kinds of hunters in the tricounty area, plus any cold footed, hungry, migrants, its not impossible that there would be that many locals/migrants in one place feeding.

I actually thought that me mentioning that there were SEOWs flying over there would get more email in my inbox...:-D. But I'm glad its not.

Happy birding and God bless,

Steve J.