OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:36:54 -0500
I hiked around these 2 sites this morning, stopping at Sharon Woods first, then going up to Oxbow Island and working my way back down the west shore of Hoover - stopping at Mudhen Marsh, Sunbury causeway, Maxtown, Walnut St., and the dam area.  The ice has receded to just south of the Sunbuiry causeway, so there were lots of waterbirds there and at points further south.  The dam & spillway had little, since other areas have opened (plus the flow was more intense).  Notables included:

Mute Swans - a single was at Sunbury causeway, while 2 were above Hoover Dam
Geese - sizeable flocks at Sunbury causeway (500+) and Walnut St. (600+), but nothing else with them that I could discern.
Dabbling Ducks - scarce, with small #s of Mallards at most stops.  A Wigeon was a flyover at Sharon Woods.
Diving Ducks - no Redhead or Ring-necks, but a few goldeneye were at Sunbury & Maxtown, and Buffleheads were around the dam
Mergansers - all 3 species were still around the Maxtown launch area, with 10 Common's there an unusual #.
Other waterbirds - a Common Loon was north of Maxtown, which also held Horned Grebes. A Pied-billed grebe was above the dam.
Gulls - small groups of Ring-bills in many locations.  50+ Herring around the dam was an unusually high number here.
Woodpeckers - many Red-bellies & Downies at Sharon Woods, but a Pileated there was more unusual
Blue Jays - common at every stop; even Oxbow Island had 6-8.  Perhaps they've been pushed south by the recent cold.
Brown Creepers - scarce, with singles at Spring Creek ravine (Sharon Woods) and Oxbow Island
Yellow-rumped Warblers - flocks of 10 at Sharon Woods and 7 at Maxtown launch area
E.Towhees - at least 2 were still along the Thomas Trail at Sharon Woods
Tree Sparrows - not as common in these area, with only 3 in the Sharon Woods fields and 1 at Mudhen Marsh
Finches - still no big numbers, with only 10-12 Goldfinches around Sharon Woods and fewer at Hoover.