OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2014 21:48:31 -0500
This afternoon at Mentor Lagoons in Lake County, I found an adult winter Thayer's Gull on the frozen
river, all the way down by the lake viewing area. I took the marina overlook trail to this spot. It was
with a group of mixed gulls composed of R-B, Herring, Bonaparte's, and a juvenile Lesser Black-
backed. The Thayer's was a lifer bird for me, and what a great way to start off the new birding year
with a lifer. Also present around the lagoons were Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, & PB
Grebe.

Later in the afternoon, my dad and I relocated the Snowy Owl on 535 in Painesville. However, it wasn't
on a telephone pole. We saw it fly behind the railroad cars (almost at the beginning of Fairport
Nursery Road) for no more than 3 seconds. Also along the road were American Kestrel and a Northern
Mockingbird. http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S16166382

I ended with 38 species today to start of 2014 birding.

Cole DiFabio
Lake County