OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
"liz.jaggers" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
liz.jaggers
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2014 16:13:46 -0500
Forwarding an email from Luke Schrader:

Would you believe I just (13:55) saw a snowy owl on the wing?  It flew over Avery-Muirfield Rd. heading W/NW toward and over the hospital.  I watched from the road and tried to chase once the light turned, even though I was just about to run out of gas... Figured it was worth the risk but no pay-off.

Not complete surprise as there are lots of areas we might expect to find them out here and have hunted before.  But it was still a surprise and made me really look to rule out ANY other potential birds, though I'd say it was pretty clear cut.  Body size, wing proportion and beat, white.  If I could pick out any contrast, the trailing edge of the wings (secondary flight feather tips) appeared a bit more white than the coverts, which may have been speckled to provide the contrast. Dunno if that is expected.

!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S®4