OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2014 11:17:17 -0800
Forwarding from Cincinnati Birders Facebook page, Zayne Watson reporting:

"This is truly saddening me to say this to all of you right now but I
feel I need to. I hate to be the one to break the bad news but they just
 found our Snowy Owl dead on the road that cuts in between state route
22 and 62 by the Home Depot in Washington Court House. (Fayette County)  The county's ohio division of wildlife officer is being contacted and the owl is in the guy who found its possession.
I held it in my hands and it wasn't cold or anything. Not sure how it
died. The owl was not frozen or cold and was just reported being seen
just moments ago by some people who was just here bird watching. My
guess is the owl was struck by a vehicle in flight and came to rest in
the ditch along side the road. This is truly devastating and sad to me
and I'm sure to many others."

"Just received a phone call from John Coffman of the Ohio Division Of
Wildlife (Fayette County) confirming to me that the gentleman that had
the snowy owl in his possession did turn it into him and it is now in
the possession of the wildlife officer. He confirmed to me that he is
almost positive that the owl has passed due to starvation. He requested
me to tell to anyone that has any questions or is looking for any
further answers to contact him. "

Kathi Hutton
Clermont County