OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2014 15:23:40 -0500
I spent the morning hiking around this MetroPark in Groveport and the nearby Bareis Preserve.  All these areas are near Walnut Creek, which was ice-free.  All the areas were rather open & exposed, and all the fields were snow-covered this morning.  The pine woods & spruce copses at the Tall Pines area of Walnut Woods held very little, despite being relatively protected. Still found a few interesting things, including,

N.Harriers - a male at Bareis and 3 juveniles at different parts of Walnut Woods.
Woodpeckers - Downies & Flickers at every stop, but no great numbers
Horned Larks - only 2 flyovers, which is surprising given the large amount of fields here
Golden-cr.Kinglets - scarce, with only 2 at Bareis Preserve and none in the Tall Pines area.  This is different from in Columbus, where they are common now.
Tree Sparrows - most common bird of the morning, being present in flocks everywhere.  The Buckeye area of Walnut Woods had a flock of 50.
Swamp Sparrow - 1 was along Walnut Creek at the Buckeye area of Walnut Woods
White-crowned Sparrows - small numbers everywhere.  The Park Headquarters feeders at Walnut Woods had 12-14.
White-throated Sparrows - small flocks in many places out of the wind

The fresh snow allowed me to see lots of animal tracks, with rabbits and coyotes predominating.  Coyotes were apparently on patrol in all of these areas overnight.