OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
"P.J. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P.J. Johnson
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2014 07:21:30 -0800
Jan. 18 mid-afternoon I saw a Snowy Owl definitely once, possibly twice.  The first time it was in the air, at a distance, but the size and soaring makes me think it was a SO.
The second time I was driving, creeping along Koons Road, looking mostly mid-height and up at the trees, when from my right peripheral vision a flurry of white and brown erupted.  I hit the brakes automatically, and just ahead of my van the flurry formed into a SO.  The brown had been leaf litter.  By the time it reached the woods across the two-lane road, its wings were in a modified anhedral position, its legs were hanging down, and it slid among the trees with such a lazy grace, with barely an adjustment of its body or wings.  It was as if the trees gave way to its passage.  When it reached past the trees, it gave a couple of flaps of its wings and went on a southwest direction in toward Singer Lake.

I had been heading from Massillon Road on Koons Road, toward Arlington Road.  The first 'sighting' was on the south side, behind the last house before the woods, fields, and bog took over.  The second time, I was heading the same direction, and the owl had apparently been just off the road on the right (there is no ditch there); there is a house set up on the hill, facing the woods, just before coming to a field and the bog.

I went to Kidron and Mt. Hope yesterday, crept along for several hours, and did not see a SO.  I did see a couple of Red-Tailed Hawks, a Red-Shoulder Hawk, and a couple of American Kestrels, and enjoyed the beauty of the trip.

This was the second owl in the wild that I have ever seen, the first being a Great Horned Owl that I had called up a number of years ago at a local metropark (not even sure if they are still nesting in that area).  What a joy!

Jean Johnson
in NE Ohio