OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2014 19:58:35 -0500
I stopped by the dam this afternoon to check on water conditions and waterfowl.  The reservoir above the dam seems completely frozen, so the spillway and river below the dam are the only open water hereabouts.  And they were jammed with waterfowl.  Among the haul were
450+ Canada Geese
400+ Mallards
30+ Black Ducks
25+ N.Shovelers
4 American Wigeon
15 Bufflehead
5 Common Goldeneye (all females, in the pool below the dam)
9 Hooded Mergansers
1 Common Merganser (male, far down the stream)

15+ Ring-billed Gulls
4 Herring Gulls
1 juvenile Bald Eagle

This was from a 5 minute scan of the flock, so I suspect there are other waterfowl buried in the throng.  This will be a great spot to monitor over the next week.  Dress warmly, as the dam and stairs are very exposed.