OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2014 17:59:42 -0500
I headed to the Deer Creek area again this morning. It didn't take long to figure out that birding was best done in the car with the 1 degree F temperature and whipping winds. That ended up being a good thing because I saw BY FAR the most Lapland Longspurs and Snow Buntings today than I have ever seen that far south in the state. Many of the corn fields in the area retain the stubble and the birds are finding a plentiful food supply. Miller Road west of the reservoir in Fayette County was excellent for both species and across the county line in Pickaway County the Mouser/Badger/Locust Grove Roads area was also swarming. The total number of longspurs in those areas was well over 1000 with probably 150 or more Snow Buntings seen in some of the flocks. Numbers like that are more typical further north in Wyandot County in a good year, but not south of I-70. Most years in Pickaway County I feel lucky to see one or two Lapland Longspurs in a flock of larks, and I've only seen Snow Buntings a few times there in the past 20 or so years.

American Tree Sparrows are abundant every year, so when I say that they're abundant this winter, it doesn't do the actual number justice. ODNR has planted millet in some fields and they are just swarming with Tree Sparrows, but they're everywhere else too. I don't know where to start trying to put any kind of number on them and can only say that that there are certainly far more than usual. Song Sparrows are also abundant in more typical numbers, White-throateds are still present in good numbers, and Swamps and Savannahs are also easily found right now. Field Sparrows are absent for the most part this winter. Last winter the ratio of Tree to Field Sparrows in the DCWA was about 10 to one. This year it's probably 10,000 to one - no exaggeration.

The reservoir itself is frozen all over. Below the dam wall the open water held 3 Ring-billed Gulls, ~20 Redheads, 4 Canvasbacks, and a pair of Lesser Scaup.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com