OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:20:26 -0800
Great day at Avon, once again.  The ice pack moved closer, as did the birds.  I birded at points with Craig Rieker and Chris Pierce, among others.  Before highlights, I would like to address the California Gull that I reported to Jen earlier.  After review of photos taken, it appears that this bird is not in fact an adult California, but a probable hybrid between Herring x one of the black-backed species (Greater or Lesser).

After i picked this bird out by mantle shade, we waited and waited
for it to stick its head out.  When it finally did, it appeared to have
both the red & black gonydeal marks of a Cal Gull...and we rejoiced. Back in went the head, and I waited another 30 min for it to reappear
so  I could take some pics.  I should mention the bird was a couple hundred yards away, so the photo quality is sketchy.  When the head finally came out again,
the bird stood up & I immediately began snapping pics.  When I returned home and got around to uploading said pictures, I saw that the bird was standing on
PINK legs.   Also, details of shape & size started to come together
& the bird looked too big - much bigger than I remember it looking in
the field.  At the observed distance, it would be hard to narrow the bird down to a specific hybrid, but it seemed on the small side, with a slightly paler mantle than GBBG x HEGU hybrids I have observed.  This made me wonder if LBBG was perhaps involved in the lineage.  Photos will posted to the Birding Ohio page on Facebook.

Other highlights at Avon today:

Glaucous Gull  11 1st (5), 2nd (2), 3rd, ad (3)
Iceland Gull  1  3rd
Lesser Black-backed Gull  1  ad

Long-tailed Duck  1  fem

Glaucous Gulls were everywhere.  Literally, 6-7 in view at all times.

Good birding, and apologies for the false alarm.

Gabe Leidy
Sheffield Lake