OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:08:46 -0500
The Ohio State University Museum of Biological Diversity (q.v.) is
holding its yearly open house all day on February 8th. Collections of
mites, mussels, meerkats, and meadowlarks will be on view. In the bird
range a display of the efforts to bio-engineer a new population of
passenger pigeons will be on view. The Ohio Historical Society was
implored by researchers elsewhere to furnish archaeological bone samples
to furnish DNA, etc. for the latter project, but demurred, wisely in my
view.  Which reminds me that Joel Greenberg's excellent new book on the
passenger pigeon, "A Feathered River Across the Sky," came out two weeks
ago, and Ohio plays a prominent part in this vanished bird's story.
Bill Whan
Columbus