OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:04:03 -0500
Hi Folks,

I was surprised to see a Turkey Vulture up soaring between Johnstown and New Albany around noon today, but I was shocked to see a Black Vulture soaring just above tree line on the north side of US 62 northeast of Johnstown, OH near Cooper Rd. NW. in Licking County around 2:30 this afternoon.

I haven't checked the various records, but I can't imagine this species has been reported this far north during a winter like this all that frequently.

I know they've over-wintered in southwest Ohio on the Hueston Woods lodge, and I know Swasey Chapel on the campus of Denison University in Granville, Licking Co. is a popular roost from spring through fall.  However we got about 6-8 inches of snow over the weekend, with high winds and deep snow drifts, and it was about 9 deg. F when I saw the bird.  The forecast for tonight are temps down to -10 to -12 with wind chill temps of -25 to -35F.  Definitely not typical Black Vulture conditions.

It definitely caught me by surprise.

Casey Tucker
http://tuckercasey.wix.com/aacri-birds