OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2014 14:09:56 -0500
Those doing a January 100 run may be interested in these, all in Licking Co.:

1.  During FeederWatch this morning, we had a chipping sparrow at the Bird Garden (downstairs, in the Visitors’ Center at Dawes Arboretum).  It fed from two different feeders before getting some water.  I had been there since 8:15, and we didn’t notice it until about 10:45 a.m.  It was not there yesterday during FeederWatch.  This is a rare bird for January, so it may be worth taking a chance on it coming around again.

2.  Both turkey and black vultures are in the general vicinity of Denison University.

3.  Four American pipits were found at the intersection of Weaver and Reynolds Roads, at a dairy farm where manure has recently been removed from the barns and spread in the fields.  To get to this location:  Reynolds Road is south off of Route 62 just west of Utica, Ohio.  These birds are easily seen from the car, even binoculars not needed.  Photographs posted on Central Ohio Birds Facebook page.

Happy birding,

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co., OH