OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2014 15:59:33 -0500
I made a loop through open areas west of Columbus today, starting at the gas dome complex at Fisher & Philippi Rds.  While these huge white domes may appear as snowy hillocks to a flying owl, I think the one reported learned from his initial mistake, as there was no owl there this morning.  I also checked several likely areas, including
-Darby Dan Airport & Kuhlwein Rd
-Battelle fields along St 142
-Prairie Oaks area
but could find no Snowies at any of the sites.  I did find other interesting birds including

-dabbling ducks - small #s of Mallards at many locations, and Black Ducks in Darby Creek at US40 and Prairie Oaks
-diving Ducks - 7 Ring-necks were at Darby Bend Lakes, but nothing else was there.
-Canada Geese - flocks in many places, topped by 420+ at Darby Bend Lakes.  No Cackling among the throngs, however.
-N.Harrier - a single immature was parsing the wetlands along Kuhlwein Rd
-American Kestrel - scarce for the open areas I visited.  I only found 1, at Darby Bend Lakes
-Brown Creepers - small #s along Darby Creek, with singles at US 40 bridge, Sycamore Plains, and Darby Bend lakes
-Horned Larks - also scarce, with the only flock a 10 along Kuhlwein Rd
-Yellow-rumped Warblers - surprisingly widespread, with 1-2 at many locations
-Tree Sparrows - good #s, with flocks at many locations; highest total was 30 at Kuhlwein wetlands
-Swamp Sparrows - also widespread, with 1-2 at many locations.  Kuhlwein wetlands had 3.
-White-crowned Sparrows - singles were at Kuhlwein wetlands and Darby Bend Lakes
-Common Grackles - 7 were lurking in the forest at the US. 40 bridge over Darby Creek