OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2014 12:14:35 -0500
Jen & all---
        Perhaps I misunderstood Matt's question about "what types of birds
might be coming down with the arctic weather we should be on the look
out for?" I assumed he was referring to the really arctic weather we're
experiencing now, rather than routine expected seasonal variations.
Sure, stiff northern winds will blow certain regular seasonal migrants
interesting to Ohioans closer---jaegers, certain gulls and waterfowl
species, etc.--but I thought an observer as experienced as Matt would be
interested in what might be the really unusual species that some extra
cold weather would bring.
        My answer was, and is, that bad weather is seldom a factor in records
of quite unexpected northern rarities. Some recent Ohio rarities---birds
like royal and sooty terns and frigatebirds--apparently showed up here
driven by storms from the south, but few northern rarities seem to be
associated with arctic cold fronts or storms on the Lake: maybe our
single-bird records of black guillemot, ancient murrelet, Atlantic
puffin did, but they didn't show up in mid-winter when arctic weather
predominated. Species like these can get lost without storms, arctic or
not, and the Arctic's relatively few winter bird species we see are
driven south mostly by food failures. Owls of the far north do not show
up because it's too cold up there, but because new sources of prey are
made available to them. We are all accustomed to yearly reports of berry
crops, not the weather, that govern the appearances of northern
songbirds. Ivory gulls, no less than razorbills and murres, are not
driven here by storms, but by reduced availability of food. The southern
storms, like hurricanes, have brought us a lot of new birds, but arctic
weather, all by itself, has by and large not.
Bill Whan
Columbus