OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2014 13:32:14 -0800
Snowy Owl on Kidron Rd, south of SR 250 at 4:00 PM today.  Reported by Laura Dornan on Sunday.  It was perched on the ground on the west side of the road, located across the street from
"Country Salvage Bent & Dent Groceries" at 9420 Kidron Rd., just
north of Cunningham Rd.

We viewed the bird from the Amish school across Kidron Rd from the store.  From the NW corner of the building, facing west, the owl was at about between 1 and 2 o'clock, about 400-500 yards from Kidron Rd.  It was on the ground in front of the first fence row parallel to Kidron Rd.  Great scope looks.  On this frigid day, we used the school house as shelter from the wind.
There was also a flock of at least 33 Horned Larks, with no Lapland Longspurs detected.

Thanks to Laura for reporting this bird, an Ohio first for me, and a life bird for the friend who went along.

Carlton Schooley
Strasburg (Tuscarawas)