OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2014 19:22:48 -0500
I made a run through Lake Erie Bluffs this afternoon and found a northern
shrike west of the Lane Road entrance ( for directions see
lakemetroparks.com ).  The shrike has been around for almost two weeks.  It
ranges throughout this large successional area.   It seems to sit in the
smaller trees and is often hard to locate unless you're walking the entire
field.

At Fairport Harbor, the harbor has broken ice covering part of the harbor.
There were a few hundred gulls sitting on the ice this afternoon.  It was
challenging looking through them as you'd look at one and the ice it was on
would float behind other gulls.  I was able to find 1 glaucous (adult), 1
Thayer's (1st cycle), and 2 lesser black-backed gulls (1 adult and 1- 1st
cycle).  I also saw two white-winged scoters and 1 black scoter.  They were
in the northeast corner of the harbor.

John Pogacnik

4765 Lockwood Road

Perry, OH 44081