OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:13:41 -0500
January 100 folks may be interested in these:

After unsuccessfully owling this morning, I stopped by the Hebron Fish Hatchery to try to locate a reported snow goose.  No waterfowl of any kind visible from Canal Road.  So I continued on to Rt. 79, east to the boat ramp in Buckeye Lake.  There were a surprising number of waterfowl, not just Canada geese and mallards.  Among the geese was a small white goose with black wing tips – Ross’s goose.

Then, as I was scoping the rest of the waterfowl, I became aware of what I believe was a common loon.  Pointed, uptipped bill, constantly diving, but when it came up, light throat, dark body larger than a mallard, but smaller than the Canadas.  I can’t think of anything else it could have been.  Bill and head shape not right for cormorant.

These are two pretty good birds for this location and this time of year.

Directions:  From Columbus, I-70 east to Route 37 exit.  Turn right (south) and go a couple miles to Route 79.  Head east (left, the only way you can turn) until you come to the town limits of Buckeye Lake (the speed changes to 35 mph at the town limits.)  Continue until Rt. 79 makes a right-angle turn to the LEFT, but you will turn into the park/boat ramp area to the RIGHT.

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co., OH