OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:40:04 -0500
Bill raises some interesting questions. I wonder if the '94 and '03 winter
freeze-ups were as total as this one seems to have been, with many, if not
most,  inland bodies of water frozen throughout the state. I recently
traveled to the UP of Michigan on a family trip and can confirm that the
Great Lakes are frozen almost completely - I saw no open water anywhere
from Houghton in the Keewenaw Peninsula to here in Columbus, although there
must be some here and there. A check of eBird reports for Red-necked Grebe
shows that participants in that web application are reporting the species
mainly along the mid-Atlantic coast in February, with a number in the
Finger Lakes region of New York. Scaup are being seen along the shores of
Lake Michigan and Lake Huron - presumably at power plants, and throughout
the eastern US.

A question I'd like to throw out there is where do the Michigan Trumpeter
Swans go in such conditions? Again, eBird shows an interesting distribution
in Michigan, with a band of sightings across the northern part of the Lower
Peninsula, from Traverse City to Tawas Point, and then another band of
sightings across the lower quarter of the Peninsula. It makes me wonder if
the northern group represents birds moving out of the UP, with the southern
group perhaps a mix of winter-dispersed Michigan and Ohio birds. That of
course raises the issue of whether any Michigan birds are making it to
Ohio...

Andy Sewell
Columbus, Ohio