OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2014 21:43:33 -0500
Wanted to get the word out earlier on the 2 Snowy Owls (there might have been 3 but uncertain since the one that reportedly flew over the one sitting on the ground at the end of the runway came from the direction of the hangar) so I didn't mention a few other birds, altho nothing of overwhelming excitement.

FOY Killdeer calling & flying
Cardinals in full song
E Bluebirds
Horned Larks
2 Rough-legged
2 Red-taileds
1 Kestrel
Small kettle of Turkey Vultures not far from I71 coming back from the airport.

Peggy Wang
Lancaster, OH

PS: the "other" Snowy Owl today (the one at the end of the runway) can be reached easily. Just exit Rt out of the hangar area then take the first Rt that's a real road, about a mile from the airport (sorry, didn't note the name). Drive until you can turn right again, prob 1.5 miles at most. Drive until it deadends at a yellow gate w/the No Trespassing sign on it. The owl was sitting on some snow to the left of the end of the runway, a ways from the runway. This one never flew, just kept looking around. Not a good photo op unless you have a big lens. Someone said they thought the bird was about 1000' away...even my iphone digiscopes were a bit sketchy.