OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:02:27 -0500
Columbus Audubon is pleased to present our Tuesday, February 25 short
program speakers, Matt Erickson and Peter Emmett as they share their
experience with a special hummingbird and first meeting Allen Chartier as he
expertly identified the bird in his hand. Then you will learn from Allen as
he describes his passion and work with many hummingbird species.  It will be
a fun evening to learn more about the little and stunning dynamos -
hummingbirds.  Visit Allen's website to learn more about his work.
http://www.hummingbirds.net/index.html

We will have our OSU study skin bird quiz and it is all about hummingbirds.
The winner will receive a bird quiz special prize.  Be sure to get in the
drawing for one of our two door prizes.  I checked Allen's migration map
this morning and the first Ruby-throated Hummingbird was reported in the
pan-handle of Florida on Feb 21. Won't we all be excited to see them back in
our gardens after this long winter!!

Thank you

Darlene Sillick and Nadya Bennett

Columbus Audubon, co-program chair's

Please join hummingbird expert Allen Chartier to learn about Great Lakes
HummerNet - Hummingbird Research in the Great Lakes Region. Allen is Project
Director of the Great Lakes HummerNet project and surely has banded more
hummingbirds in the Midwest than anyone alive.

7:00 - 7:15 pm: CA Short Program: In November 2012, Delaware County resident
Matt Erickson hosted a Rufous Hummingbird, a rare fall and winter visitor to
Ohio, in his back yard. Tonight's main speaker, Allen Chartier, banded this
bird, and Peter Emmett, wildlife photographer captured the event in
pictures. Join Matt and Peter for their presentation, A Hummingbird for
Thanksgiving.

7:15 - 7:30 pm: Social time and refreshments and bird quiz

7:30 - 9:00 pm: Main program, door prizes

Columbus Audubon public programs are free and open to the public. All
programs are held at the Grange Insurance Audubon Center at 505 West
Whittier Street in the Scioto-Audubon Metro Park on the Whittier Peninsula.