OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2014 15:53:09 -0500
A few times this winter I have witnessed a very large grackle flock moving
through and around our property on Flint Ridge in western Muskingum County.
My estimates of the numbers have varied.

February 1, late morning, there was a flock I numbered at approximately 400
that descended on the "front yard" portion of our horse pasture. I noted a
smattering of cowbirds in with this flock, but only a few.

Yesterday, February 3, there was a truly noteworthy fly-by of a flock in
some serious numbers. Out in the clear and with the full flock more or less
visible, I put it at around 800. This was after the horse dentist had left,
and I was still out cleaning out the barn, so it was around 3:00. As they
passed up the "spring hollow," just north of the house, I saw what seemed
like flashes of lighter color among the throng in the sunlight, but I was
not equipped with binoculars for this sight. Otherwise, they all looked
long-tailed, thus grackles. They sounded like grackles, and the chorus was
loud.

One interesting associated sighting was a Cooper's hawk following the
flock, a hundred meters or so off the tail end, I suppose looking for
unwary or feeble stragglers.

As I indicated, I have seen either this or other large flocks of grackles
perhaps six or seven times in the past couple months.

Another large flock, composed of starlings, is out and about as well, but
they don't seem to mix.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Valhalla Acres Fiber Farm