OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 09:49:50 -0500
Good article on snowy owls with focus on their food at
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/feb/24/snowy-owl-lemming-population-us-canada

At the foot of the page are links to good articles on state-of-the-art
tracking of migrants, and on chironomid midges, whose hatches in Magee
Marsh largely fuel the Crane Creek spring warbler arrivals. I have seen
a cloud of ~100+ ruddy turnstones dashing down lanes in the crowded
beach parking lot there chasing these goodies. You could hear the
mandibles snapping.
        If you're really interested in Ohio midges, check out
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/accounts/Chironomidae/ . The Ohio
EPA actually has a field guide to their larvae, for the truly obsessed:

http://www.epa.ohio.gov/Portals/35/documents/Midge_Larvae_Key_nov2012.pdf .
Bill Whan
Columbus