OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:37:15 -0800
I visited the Mosquito L. causeway this afternoon.  Both the amount of open water and the number of ducks has increased since my last visit ten days ago.  Seen were: Canada geese, mute swan, 4 swan spp. (sleeping with heads tucked in), 2 Am. wigeon, 5 Am. black ducks, a mallard X Am. black duck, mallards, 300 redheads, 55 canvasbacks, 6 ring-necked ducks, greater scaup, 45 lesser scaup, 8 LONG-TAILED DUCKS, 7 buffleheads, 25 c. goldeneyes, 15 common mergansers, 5 red-breasted mergansers, and 10 Am. coots.  This morning I checked Pine L. and Evans L. in Mahoning Co.  The only open water at Evans L. is still the Yellow Creek outlet, which held 3 ring-necked ducks.  Pine L. still has an open water hole at the lake, plus the Yellow Creek outlet remains open  (most of the geese and ducks were in the marsh there).  Pine L. highlights: 5 tundra swans, 4 gadwalls, 11 Am. wigeon, 2 Am. black ducks, a mallard X Am. black duck, 3 n. shovelers, n. pintail, 7
 redheads, 2 lesser scaup, 20 common mergansers, 3 Am. coots, ring-billed gulls, and a n. mockingbird.  Craig Holt, Poland Twp.