OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 20:26:36 -0500
I waited for three hours yesterday afternoon to testify in Federal District
Court in downtown Columbus. It never happened because witnesses before me
took longer than expected, so I was on at 9 this morning instead. The one
great outcome of this delay occurred when I took a restroom break from my
vigil around 4 (yesterday). This was also a great lesson in always carrying
ones binoculars (in my case in my backpack/office.)

What I assume is the aforementioned Iceland gull was on the east bank of
the high-water Scioto River, loosely associating with a group of fifteen
ring-billed gulls and one red-breasted merganser, and wonderfully viewable
from the window of the third floor Men's Room of the Federal Court House. I
was alone, and so avoided what probably would have been alarm at the nerd.
This was an essentially all-white second-year bird with just a hint of gray
in the wings and tail. The gray was nicely visible when it hopped up on a
bit of debris lodged against the flooded bank, spreading its wings and tail
briefly for a subtle but glorious display.

The court house in question is at 85 Marconi, downtown Columbus, a block
north of the Broad Street bridge, and a little north of where this bird (I
assume the same bird) has been otherwise reported.

I have always treated the gulls as species that I figured would eventually
come to me. I do not chase lifer gull species. It is very satisfying when
they appear, even more so when in the most unexpected of places and
circumstances.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
(from Hopewell Township, Muskingum County)