OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2014 00:09:12 -0800
We went to Mosquito Lake this morning and were able to see the Long-eared Owls, thanks to Don Keffer.  He located them for us, right in the bushes which we had just searched very thoroughly (we thought).  They were sitting very low, 1 almost on the ground, in a bush .4 mile south of the DOW buildings.  If you go there, please be respectful of the owls and stay in the car so as not to give them undue stress.  They are right along the road; you don't need a better view, just lots of patience.  And remember, a great picture is NEVER worth stressing a bird.

At the causeway, there were Redheads, Canvasbacks, all 3 mergansers, Bufflehead, Ring-necks, Ruddys, scaup species, Goldeneyes, Black Ducks, & swans (not mutes) amongst the hundreds of Canada Geese.

On the way home, we came upon a field that had very recently been spread with manure.  It had at least a couple hundred Snow Buntings!  There were also a few Horned Larks and Lapland Longspurs but probably less than 2 dozen.  It was a most awesome sight!  This was on Reeder Rd., just south of Price St. (north of Walborn Reservoir) at about 3:00.

Laura Dornan
Stark Co.