OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2014 17:39:50 -0500
Following a tip from Steve Thompson, another of the eight or so Perry
County birders, Vicki Derr and I went looking for snow Buntings today.  Was
not disappointed.  Along Rt. 13 just Northeast of Somerset and just past
Stone Quarry Road, there was a flock of perhaps 300 birds, mostly Horned
Larks, but with a good number of Longspurs and Snow Buntings.  They were on
the freshly spread manure.  They all scattered once in response to a Sharp
Shinned Hawk flyby.
      Further down, at the Beard Family Coop, it was much safer to pull off
the road, and there were more in the lot in front of the storage bins.
 They were enjoying some spilled grain, and I even got decent photos.

     Thanks Steve

Joe Faulkner
Somerset, Ohio