OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2014 18:48:41 -0500
I stopped at these 2 MetroParks southeast of Columbus looking for unusual birds brought out by the 'thaw'.  Unfortunately, the thaw hadn't been long enough to open some ponds: the wetlands at both parks were still largely frozen over.  I did have flyover flocks of Canada Geese at both places, as well as a small flock of Mallard & Black Ducks in an open ditch at Pick Ponds, so the birds are getting antsy.  Other notables included:

Kestrel - at least 1 was still along Bowen Rd at Pick Ponds
Hairy Woodpeckers - not normally notable, but I had them at both parks, including 4 along the 5-Oaks trail at Slate Run.
Pileated Woodpeckers - 2 along that same trail at Slate Run
Blue Jays - one of the most common birds of the morning, with numbers at all stops, and even lots of road flyovers
Brown Creepers- 3 along the 5-Oaks Trail at Slate Run
Carolina Wrens - not too badly decimated by the recent freeze, I had 3 at both Slate Run and at Pick Ponds
Golden-cr.Kinglets - scarce, with only singles at each spot.
Horned Larks - also rather scarce, with only a few flyovers at each spot
Yellow-rumped Warblers - 8+ were along the 5-Oaks Trail, a regular wintering spot for them.
E.Towhee - 1 female was at the feeder at the Slate Run Wetlands
Tree Sparrows - small flocks in many locations, including 121+ around the feeder at Glacier Knoll in Pick Ponds
Fox Sparrow - 1 was along the Maple Trail near the Buzzardsroost Lake parking lot
White-crowned Sparrow - 1 remained around the feeder at the Wood Duck picnic area of Pick Ponds