OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2014 14:17:41 -0500
Today's observations have been mostly the result of a sporadic feeder
watch. We abbreviated this morning's daily property hike due to the
difficult snow conditions: crunchy collapsing crust over fairly deep bottom
layer.

So, we have still had interesting visitors to the feeders. My first fox
sparrow of the year was under the feeders by the well bunker just a few
moments ago. A red-winged blackbird pair, honest... male and female, were
on the ground under those same feeders this morning before 9:00. I don't
seeing a female type in early to mid February here before. Usually we have
only an occasional male. Anyway, these are the first red-winged blackbirds
of the year for us as well, up here on the uplands of Flint Ridge, and well
away from any low-lying wetlands. There have been a couple more males this
afternoon.

ID puzzle: Then there was the odd-ball sparrow/bunting/longspur(?) around
8:50 this morning. I don't profess to be any sort of expert at this group,
but I usually hold my own with field marks, since I've been at this game
for 50-some years. (Over 400 NA lifers and 137 "yard" bird species - not
terribly impressive but respectable among non-listers.)

I have photos of the bird in question, not great wildlife photos, but
showing the requisite features for ID. I would welcome help, but I am also
not adept at uploading to any linkable photo sites, so write to me and
offer to have me send an email attachment for your comments, please...

Attributes: Ground feeder. Dark legs, almost black, darker than most or all
"sparrows." A very prominent well-outlined ear patch. Streaked around the
edges of the breast and sides, but not on the belly. I don't notice any
prominent white component to the tail.

I recognize that there is a lot of individual variation in birds (and other
animals,) and I don't always expect exact matches to field guide
illustrations.

I suspect it was a Lapland longspur, maybe a first year female. If so, it
would be a new "yard" bird for our farm. We have agricultural fields
around, but not broad open country. We have to go 8 miles west of here to
reach the moraines and till plain of Licking County to find that sort of
habitat, and my nearest experience with horned larks and the birds that
sometimes associate with them.

The dark legs and the head pattern were different than the usual, and
caught my attention in the very busy crowd around the feeders. This was 8
feet outside our kitchen window so looks were good and the photos are
diagnostic.

I would welcome some help. Thanks!

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.