OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2014 20:04:18 -0500
Rick Asamoto, my wife Ada and myself were able to relocate the Snowy owl at
about 11:45 AM today. We first checked west of the airport along Mulberry
Grove-Rakestraw Rd north of SR 185 as reported on the Cincinnati Birds
website yesterday. We did not see it there but ran into a father and
daughter looking for the owl also. I believe they said their name was Pardo
(?sp.). They had been looking for awhile before we arrived but had
difficulty seeing far into the fields because of thick cloud cover and
falling snow causing poor visibility. We turned right onto W. Versailles Rd
to begin looking. We stopped and looked back south near 6115 W. Versailles
Rd where we thought we had it. I got out a scope and the clouds thinned and
the snow lightened up a little and sure enough there it was about 1/3 of a
mile off the road as we looked back toward the airport in a low area near
some weeds about 2 feet tall. It was straight out from a yellow street sign
indicating that Newbury Washington Rd was just up the road. There is also a
blue Bud Light can (thrown out by others) in a snow drift along the road
near where we pulled over to look at the owl.

It is a dark owl indicating a young bird. It stayed in one spot the whole
time but did turn its head several times to look back in our direction. We
watched it a few minutes and were about to go look for the father/daughter
team when we saw them coming down the road in front of us. We stayed so
they could see the owl through our scope.

W. Versailles Rd had light traffic but is narrow and there is not much room
to maneuver because of the snow plowed to the side of the road so be
careful if you go looking here.

--
John Habig
Carlisle, Ohio