OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:03:30 -0500
Hi all,

While I wasn't the one who ebirded the report of Thayer's gull (Steve
Landes was, so far, the only one of many observers to report the bird on
eBird), I have been trying to see this bird and get photos of it.
Unfortunately, I suspect that the banded bird that many have been calling a
Thayer's is actually a Herring gull. Also, since the bird was banded, I
think it unlikely for a 1st cycle Thayer's, but more likely to see on a
Herring Gull from the Great Lakes region or southern Canada. Not quite a
field mark, but another drop in the bucket leaning towards Herring.

So far, all reported details and photos that I've seen appear to be of a
Herring Gull with very pale undersides to the primaries -- a not-uncommon
beast to find in the Great Lakes region -- or the photos/descriptions are
not helpful in calling the ID one way or the other (i.e. they mention pale
underwings, but say nothing about upperwing patter, which is key for ruling
out paler Herring Gulls).

This could be the case of a legit Thayer's showing up and leaving, and
eager observers assuming the pale Herring was their target bird, but
without photos or good documentation, who knows.

Anyway, if any of you have (or know someone who has) more observational
details (or better yet, photos) indicating there was in fact a 1st cycle
Thayer's Gull at Hoover Reservoir dam recently, I'd love to see them! This
would be only the 2nd record of this species in Franklin Co. (that I know
of) making it an observation worthy of good documentation.

Happy gulling,
-Paul Hurtado
Columbus, OH

--
Paul J. Hurtado
Postdoctoral Fellow, The Ohio State University

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Webpage: http://people.mbi.ohio-state.edu/hurtado.10