OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Sours <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 17:01:03 -0500
After checking out O'Shaughnessey Dam, I was heading south to see the common mergansers and the hybrid duck at Griggs. At 161 and 33, in a field on the north side of the road, there had to be 1000 geese.  I could barely see snow.  Then I looked south at the River and saw hundreds more...solid geese.
O'Shaughnessey had two canvasbacks along with bufflehead, hooded and red-breasted mergansers, and common goldeneye.  Griggs below dam and along Hoover Park still has nearly 30 stunning common mergansers, mostly adult males with at least one first winter male and one female.  Two of us there did see the hybrid duck...but hard to see detail in glare from the sun.
Worth a visit for sure.

Sent from my iPad