OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2014 13:33:24 -0800
Today's field trip began at Avon Lake Power Plant, which was
Hey all -

Today's field trip began at Avon Lake Power Plant, which was surprisingly devoid of gull activity.  Two Glaucous Gulls (2nd, ad) were the only uncommon species, and the overall number of gulls were waaaay down.  However, 40+ White-winged Scoters were probably the most any of us had ever seen in the state.

On to Lorain, where no Snowy Owl was present, but the icescape was breathtaking.  One of the only birds in sight was a young Bald Eagle hunting far out on the ice shelf.

After a disappointing day on the lakefront, our luck really turned around when we headed to check out interior Lorain County.  After a fruitless stop at the regional airport (where the pulloffs are snowed-in), we followed Jeff & Marian Kraus along some backroads they had been exploring, as of late.  Here's where our day got very interesting:

Butternut Ridge Rd., just east of Oberlin Rd. - we stumbled upon a good-sized flock of gulls resting in a field behind the Oberlin landfill.  I've been obsessed with the movement of gulls to and from the lake to this landfill for several years now, but until this point, did not realize that back portions of the dump could be seen directly from Butternut Ridge Rd.  The small sample size of the gull flock that we came across can only attest to the magnitude of what is present within the landfill on any given winter day.  There were no more than 1500 gulls total in the field, but we could see there were many more at the landfill in the distance.  Here's what we observed in the field:

Thayer's Gull  3  1st (2), 2nd
Iceland Gull  7  1st (5), 2nd, ad
Glaucous Gull  6  1st (3), 2nd (2), ad
Great Black-backed Gull  10

We wrapped up at Carlisle Reservation, where a Red-shouldered in hot pursuit of a Sharpie with prey was a highlight.  Three Snowy Owls were reported somewhere here on eBird yesterday, and I'd love more details from anyone in the know.

Gabe Leidy
Sheffield Lake