OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2014

From:
Tim Spahr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Spahr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2014 17:36:03 -0500
Hi Jen, Ohiobirders:

First to Jen--thanks for posting to the list the good birds that are
reported to one or the other of the Facebook groups that are not reported
here.  Even though I've not chased one of them (I no longer live in the
state), I really appreciate being able to see what is being seen where.

I am not a Facebook user.  While I am not, I acknowledge that it is a
really great way to communicate and keep in touch, and this does mean for
bird sightings as well.  People are using it because it is useful and easy.
 However, one of the main problems is that it is in effect putting some
bird sightings behind a firewall.  Yes, one could create an account and
find this information.  But in my opinion the fact a password or account is
required is a formal drawback.  Consider:

--Even single Facebook pages can be viewed on the web with a browser or
smartphone without accounts (I know this because we do this for the
Facebook page where I work)

--eBird rarities pages can be viewed publicly (I subscribe to these; that
does require a login, but to view on the web does not require an
account--just a browser or smartphone)

--Listserves do not require accounts for viewing; the ABA has made it very
easy to see with a web browser or a smartphone

My reason for responding to this thread is to see if there is a way to
either get Facebook groups visible to all and sundry without accounts, or
see if there is some way to get the routine sightings information posted
there to the public in some way.  All of this modern technology has served
us as birders very well, and I'd love to see the sheer volume of public
information increased.

Just a general note to my homestate folks--thanks for all the fun postings
on this list and all the great sightings.  I really enjoy this list.

Good Birding,

Tim Spahr, former Fairborn area birder, now in Massachusetts