OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2014 02:44:05 -0700
   Just a word of caution regarding any CVNP Snow Geese. Many years back, the flooding of the Cuyahoga River released several "domestic Greylag-type geese" from The Crooked River Herb Farm, which at the time was right along the banks of the Cuyahoga. John & Kathy Varga, who ran the farm before being forced out by the National Park's Countryside Conservancy, lost their goose flock. One bird in particular, "Peaches", continued to reside in the CVNP. The rest ended up at the Quick Rd. duck pond & Wyoga Lake - and still do. Anyway, "Peaches" was a common sight within the Cuyahoga Valley usually setting up shop at the Ira Beaver Marsh. All observations I've had with this goose seemed to indicate that it could not fly & the fact that the Cuyahoga River was it's favorite mode of travel, could be seen anywhere from the Ira Beaver Marsh to the south to just north of the village of Peninsula. "Peaches" was usually in the company of some local Canada Geese,
 eventually pairing up with one for several years which of course led to eventual mating. In July of 2013 "Peaches" was observed just north of Peninsula with 3 offspring & her mate. Two of these birds leaned more to the Canada Goose-type crossbreed, while the third leaned more towards a Greylag Goose-type crossbreed, looking very similar to a Snow Goose, especially from afar. These 3 young can, of course, fly. I have not seen the two Canada Goose-type birds since. In fact, I haven't seen "Peaches" since. But, I have seen the Greylag Goose-type since, everywhere from Brandywine Golf Course to Szalay's corn fields. So, I'm not saying there isn't a Snow Goose down in the Cuyahoga Valley right now, I'm just saying before any out-of-towner's venture down there to see any white geese - just a word of caution - you may have seen a goose like this before at your local farm-park. This end's today's history lesson on "Nuisance Geese in the C.V.N.P.".

Douglas W. Vogus - Akron, Ohio.