OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2014 22:34:55 -0400
Fellow birders looking for signs of spring,

         The yard phoebe came back today, keeping intact a 30+ year record of arriving between March 10 and 15.  This bird and her ancestors have nested on my house, under the eve, for each of those thirty years, fledging more than 200 little phoebes.   I feel like their uncle.
     There are actually a number of yard phoebes now, nesting on every building and in the barn.  It's great having them around, and I consider them the best sign that spring will eventually arrive for good.  Today was certainly pleasant, and I and my phoebe look forward to more just like it, even if Wednesday and Thursday will fall a little short.

Joe in the woods
 Somerset, Ohio
Perry county

Sent from my iPad