OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2014 21:48:53 -0400
Waterfowl are here! The channel between South Bass and Catawba is open water
now. Ice free patches were also found at the east end of the island, Peach
Point and over the reef to Gibraltar Island today.

I found snow bunting working the ground at the South Bass Island Lighthouse
as well as large numbers of red-breasted mergansers and common goldeneye
swimming offshore.

Oak Point Picnic area yielded horned larks, and herring and greater black-
backed gulls on the open water near the reef. All the bubblers on docks in
the harbor had red-breasted mergansers feeding.

The area off the Lime kiln/Miller ferry dock had large numbers of the
following:

Common Goldeneye
Bufflehead
Red-breasted mergansers
Redhead
Canvasback
Lesser Scaup

Two Bald eagles sat on the edge of the ice near Starve Island watching all
the waterfowl.

A trip to the Scheeff East Point Preserve yielded goldeneye, bufflehead,
mergansers in large numbers as well in the open water offshore.

Will have to watch and see what shows up as the ice moves out!

Lisa Brohl