OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:19:33 -0400
This report is from yesterday, Thursday March 13, 2014.

I birded the Ohio River from the Hannibal Dam in Monroe County to just
north of the Rayland Marina in Jefferson County.  This was one of the best
days I've ever had on the river looking for waterfowl.  Counting grebes, I
ended up with 24 species of waterfowl.  The most abundant (aside from the
Canada Geese) were the scaup.  For the first time in my 22 years of birding
the river, Greater Scaup outnumbered the Lesser Scaup.  The temporarily
ubiquitous Red-necked Grebes were found in four locations; 1 on the West
Virginia side in New Martinsville, 3 resting in Sunfish Creek in Monroe
County, 1 in Short Creek in Jefferson County, and 1 in the backwaters just
west of the Rayland Marina. The White-winged Scoter phenomenon continues
with 20 birds. A group of 9 in Yorkville above Pike Island Dam, and a group
of 11 out from the mouth of Short Creek.  Another "good bird" for this area
was a group of 6 Tundra Swans in Jefferson County north of the Rayland
Marina in a flooded field between "Old Route 7" and current route 7.

I birded the following locations: Hannibal, OH and the WV side in New
Martinsville; Sunfish Creek in Clarington; the mouth of Captina Creek in
Powhatan Point; the mouth of Pipe Creek; the mouth of Wegee Creek in
Shadyside; Pike Island Lock and Dam in Yorkville; Short Creek; Rayland
Marina and backwaters; and the river north of the Marina to Little Rush Run.

The following is a cumulative list of birds.  If you would like specific
information on a location I can provide that if emailed off list.

Canada Goose - I don't count geese.  There are a poop ton.

Tundra Swan - 6

Mallard - 37 plus many more in a distant flooded field that I couldn't see

Gadwall - 4

Wood Duck - 10

Northern Pintail - 20 plus many more in a distant flooded field that I
couldn't see

American Black Duck - 9 plus many more in a distant flooded field that I
couldn't see

American Wigeon - 15 plus many more in a distant flooded field that I
couldn't see

Northern Shoveler - 4

Green-winged Teal - 24 (conservative count)

Common Goldeneye - 4

Bufflehead - 24

Ring-necked Duck - 11

Canvasback - 13