OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2014 12:10:08 -0400
To add to August's comments about the gulls along the Scioto River from
O'Shaughnessy dam down to the downtown area, the following other species
have been documented in the past few weeks:

Glaucous Gull (at least 1 imm., 1 adult)
Iceland Gull (at least 1 imm.)
Lesser Black-backed Gull (adults and 1+ imm.)
Great Black-backed Gull (1 imm.)

Photos of a few of these birds can be found via the links below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/irshulgina/

It's hard to see all these birds as there is very limited access to the
upper end of Griggs Reservoir and the stretch of river below O'Shaughnessy,
so birders in the area should definitely visit frequently, especially as
birds move up the rivers heading north!

Good birding,
-Paul Hurtado
Columbus, OH

--
Paul J. Hurtado
Postdoctoral Fellow, The Ohio State University

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Webpage: http://people.mbi.ohio-state.edu/hurtado.10