OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2014 08:28:06 -0500
A. Kestrel boxes on highway sign backs: Good intentions, good results!

It's a cold slap in the face to hear the bad news that a young kestrel was
hit by a truck, particularly if it's one of those fledged from our project
boxes! In any case, from a cold statistical point of view (large
organizations must be guided empirically, not sentimentally) this loss only
diminishes the net gain of kestrels fledged from kestrel boxes mounted on
highway sign backs. We did our homework--many states allow monitored
sign-back boxes, we have lots of data from these projects suggesting that
losses to collisions are very, very low! Alternatives to sign backs?
Ideally, we would place poles and hang boxes away from roadsides, but that's
logistically overwhelming and too costly. We remain ready to work with
individuals who may wish to offer materials and locations for installations
away from roadsides; places like remote barn walls, abandoned electrical
service poles, erected poles, other options that allow for predator-guarding
(respond to me personally, off line). In addition to the Route 30 Kestrel
Trail, OOS worked with The Wilds and AEP ReCreation Lands back in 2007 to
erect 15 boxes at birding access points throughout The Wilds and adjacent
ReCreation Lands. These are the boxes you see when you join OOS and your
friends at The Wilds for our free annual mid-January Raptor Extravaganza. We
saw kestrels along with visiting northern species like Golden Eagle,
Rough-legged Hawk, Short-eared Owl, and more at our most recent event there
just six weeks ago.

The Route 30 Kestrel Trail

The Ohio Ornithological Society (OOS), partnering with the Ohio Bird
Conservation Initiative (OBCI) and The Peregrine Fund's American Kestrel
Project and further with Ohio's Department of Transportation (ODOT) and
Division of Wildlife (DOW) designed, planned, installed, maintains, and
continues to grow the Route 30 Kestrel Trail. We are seeking extended
partnerships, by county, to replicate and expand the effort. Today, partners
monitoring the boxes include students from Findley University and volunteers
and professionals with Crawford County Park District. Throughout the
Southeast and Midwest, many states are partnering with volunteer
organizations and student efforts to install needed nesting cavities for N.
America's smallest falcon. Widespread monitoring efforts are underway. Lots
of young falcons disperse along these essential habitats. This is good news
for little falcons and the people who love them!

Ohio's DOT is the largest land holder in Ohio. They erect thousands of signs
well suited for attaching kestrel boxes, kestrels benefit when we join
forces. We approached DOT and worked with them and Ohio's Division of
Wildlife. Jim McCormac opened doors for us with DOW and ODOT, and Amanda
approached U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to obtain guidance and various
permitting--no small challenge. Amanda Duren was instrumental in the success
of this effort. Funding of boxes and monitoring equipment was contributed by
generous Ohio birders (thank you, so much), The Ohio Ornithological Society,
Ohio Bird Conservation Initiative, and by The Peregrine Fund. Boxes were
assembled at no cost by the OOS Board and many boxes by Charlie Zepp, a
mega-volunteer. Charlie has cut and built over five thousand nest boxes,
mostly for bluebirds, etc. His skills have been essential in our effort to
construct quality, lasting boxes. Generous people fill in gaps for
successful project completions!

We, particularly Amada Duren, coordinator for OBCI, have done exhaustive
literature searches and spoken at length with other project leaders, other
states. This is the right thing to do for kestrels! We continue to need
funding for monitoring and expansion. If you wish to direct your
contribution to this project, you can contribute directly to OOS or to OBCI
(contact me personally).

Thanks to all who make important projects happen!

Tom Bain
Bird Conservation Chair
Ohio Ornithological Society