OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:40:59 -0700
Linda and I took advantage of today’s weather and made a
run to Big Island Wildlife Area in Marion County. Steve Jones’ recent post
alerted me that the water is open and the birds are back in increasing numbers.
We were not disappointed as there were so many waterfowl the water looked like
a carpet in several areas.
We
began at Herr Road where the flooded fields and the edge areas around them
contained Northern Pintails everywhere. A conservative estimate for the area
would be no less than 1,000 Pintails. Mixed in with them were Redheads,
Northern Shovelers, Gadwall, Green-winged Teal, American Black Ducks and Mallards.
The wetland on the northeast side of Herr Road had Pied-billed Grebes,  a
few Horned Grebes, Wood Duck, Gadwall, American Wigeon, American Black Duck, Mallard,
Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked
Ducks, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser and Ruddy Duck. Eastern
Meadow larks were singing in the grassy fields.

The flooded area off Rte 95 slightly
west of Herr Road produced Pied-billed Grebe,
Canada Geese, Tundra Swan, Trumpeter
Swan, Wood Duck, Gadwall, American Wigeon, American Black Duck , Mallard, Northern
Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser
Scaup, Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser, and Red-breasted Merganser.

The observation deck off Rte 95 was
the quietest location with only Canada Geese, Mallard, Ring-necked Duck and a few
swans.

The last area we worked was along
LaRue-Prospect Road. This area was ducks central with so many waterfowl that
they were almost getting into each other’s way. Spring tempers resulted in some
smart beak snaps here and there. Species along this stretch included Pied-billed
Grebes, Horned Grebes, Great Blue Herons, Canada Geese, Tundra Swan (close to
100), Trumpeter Swans (fewer but identifiable by lore coloration and a neck
collard or two), Wood Ducks (by rear most areas), Gadwall, American Wigeon, American
Black Duck, Mallard, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail (like the Herr Road
area and off Rte 95, the most common species), Green-winged Teal, Canvasback, Redhead,
Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead , Common Goldeneye, Hooded Merganser,
Common Merganser (surprisingly close, the best look I’ve had in years), Red-breasted
Merganser and Ruddy Duck.

Other observations included Bald Eagle,
American Coot, Killdeer, Horned Lark, an American Pipit and Eastern Meadowlarks.

Big Island Wildlife Area was like a
waterfowl workshop today.

Charlie Bombaci