OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2014 18:00:55 -0700
I went to a couple places on the lake Saturday (Sims Park & Wildwood) and with all the ice and only open water beyond scope views I decided since it was much colder today I would stay away from the lake and birdwatch mostly in my car.  I was able to see more.  Today I stopped at the business park in Euclid across from Euclid Square Mall on east 260th.  It has not been as productive for me as they were building a bldg there most of the winter with a security guard sitting in cars on the street all day and since the grass had been cut I haven't seen as much there.  Today I saw two EASTERN MEADOWLARKS, at least seven Killdeer, seven HORNED LARKS and a very brief visit of approx. 30 SNOW BUNTINGS.

Then I ended up at Cuyahoga County Airport in Richmond Heights off of Richmond Rd.  I started at the north end near AEC Pkwy looking for any birds of interest (Killdeer, black birds whatever).  After seeing a Cooper's Hawk scare off a large flock of Robins at the end of that street where it is "wild looking" the road eventually connects back up with Curtis Wright Pkwy and I drove east.  I turned on a short business park street (that only goes north) and it has a woods just to the east of it and sometimes I see Juncos there.  I saw there were people working in the bldg. so I decided not to get to nosy and turned around.  I heard some noises coming from the woods as my windows are always down (thought it might be an owl) and realized the sound was TUNDRA SWANS flying over my car flying slowly west.  I couldn't get great pictures as I was fumbling with my camera and trying to decide to zoom in or out so I could count them all.
 There were 51.  This area is on the Lake County/Cuyahoga County border.

On my way home I stopped at DeSan Park off of Trebisky Rd. in Richmond Hts that has ball fields.  I thought I heard Killdeer and then after the Cooper's Hawk circled around a few times I eventually saw two Killdeer in the grass to the south.

So staying out in large open areas and near fields today seemed to be lucky for me even if I was just in the city.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/?savedsettings=13203747643#photo13203747643