OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 00:45:10 -0400
I went back over to BIWA today in hopes of seeing some good ducks
close...there were some, but you had to work for them. :-)  Might be better
here in a couple of days...The wind and temperatures had all of the ducks
"ducking" for cover.

Geese were everywhere, but mostly in the cornfields.

Redheads were scattered throughout, but I came across a pond that were so
thick with them, that you couldn't see any water...almost.  They were
juuuust on the edge of BIWA on Holland Rd.  there are several little wet
spots on that road, and well worth the looksie when you are in the area.

The bird of the day...other than all those Redheads were Ring-billed
Gulls...They were absolutely EVERYWHERE!

List follows.

God Bless, and Happy Birding

Steve J.

Big Island Wildlife Area
10 Miles
118 Minutes
  Totals are for all of Big Island WA. Herr Rd is still productive, but
they have spread out more due to the thawed containment ponds.
    1022    Canada Goose
    5    Trumpeter Swan
    5    Wood Duck
    2    Gadwall
    20    American Wigeon
    1    American Black Duck
    50    Mallard
    5    Northern Shoveler
    200    Northern Pintail
    2    Canvasback
    500    Redhead    All but 50 were clustered in a field pond. That is
probably a low count on the total amount due to lack of time.
    250    Ring-necked Duck
    100    Lesser Scaup
    2    Ruddy Duck
    2    Pied-billed Grebe