OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2014

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2014 21:42:34 -0500
Taking a tip from Leslie Sour's posting of the Iceland Gull, I checked out Kiwanis Park and points north along the Scioto River up to O'Shaughnessy dam.  The area is mostly ice-free, and it appears to be flooded with waterfowl & gulls, probably many of the birds that were further downriver near downtown Columbus for much of last week.  While I kept an eye out for the Iceland, I couldn't relocate it.  What I did find were

Swan - 1 Mute Swan was with the waterfowl throng below the dam
Canada Geese - many flocks all along the river, perhaps 6-700 total.
Snow Goose - 1 bird was with Canadas at Kiwanis Park
Mallards - probably 4-500 scattered along the river here
Black Ducks - small flocks at Kiwanis
Common Goldeneye - 4 were in the river at Kiwanis
Common Mergansers - 10 were at Kiwanis and another 2 were below the dam
Red-br.Mergansers - 8 were at Kiwanis, and another 6-8 were flying upriver from there.
Hooded Mergansers - 12 were at Kiwanis and 4 were below the dam
Bald Eagle - i juvie was below the dam, while 3 adults were sparring over the river further south, near the County Line
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1 flyover was at Kiwanis
Red-shouldered Hawk - an adults was calling from across the river at Kiwanis
Great Blue Herons - 8 were resting in the forest below the O'Shaughnessy dam.
Ring-billed Gulls - small flocks in lower stretches, more up near dam, with large #s resing on ice above dam; 8-900 total
Herring Gulls - small #s all along river, with largest gathering about 30 around dam

The spot looks to be good for another few days, as long as it stays cold enough to keep reservoirs frozen.  The view from the dam, with its swirling gulls flocks below, is very impressive, and will probably yield rarities with careful study.